The Emergency Medical Services Technology Program offers an opportunity to enroll in courses leading to certification as Paramedic.
EMS Program application/admissions criteria are identified in the Admissions section in this catalog.
The student admitted to the college and desiring acceptance to the Paramedic program must satisfy college admission requirements and:
l. Be at least 18 years of age
2. High school graduate or equivalent;
3. Provide official forms to document dates of recent tetanus immunization, TB test or chest X-ray, hepatitis vaccine, and physical examination prior to clinical experience;
4. Submit an Ohio BCI and FBI check with no felony convictions noted;
5. Report as requested for personal interview with the program director if required;
6. Proof of health insurance coverage.
1. Be a licensed Ohio EMT;
2. Be an active EMT for one year prior to entrance into the program (strongly recommended);
3. Letter of recommendation from a supervisor or department officer, medical director, or EMS instructor.
4. Pass EMS entrance exam.
After course completion and certification, the EMS provider works under the direction of a physician. Knowing that the EMS provider is a direct extension of the hospital- based physician, the EMS provider can serve as the physician’s eyes, ears, and hands in the street or in the home—anywhere the EMS is needed. Essential attributes of the EMS candidate include demonstration by testing of academic potential, good physical health, the ability to relate well to people with calm, confident and rational judgment, and a thorough understanding of the operation of the EMS system.
A physical examination and proof of specific immunizations are required at the student’s expense prior to clinical practicums.
Upon successful completion of the program, the graduate receives a certificate of completion and is eligible to apply for the National Registry Examination being offered as the state of Ohio certification examination.
NONCREDIT EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES (EMS) TRAINING
Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Advanced Emergency Medical Technician (A-EMT) – Contact EMS Program Director for details on the above courses offered through Workforce.
Continuing education/recertification classes for: Emergency Medical Responder, Emergency Medical Technician, Advanced Emergency Medical Technician and Paramedic
American Heart Association -Basic Life Support (BLS) courses, Advanced Cardiac Life Support, (ACLS) courses, Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) courses
Specialty training courses are available upon request. All courses can be offered at off-campus locations subject to minimum student participation and Ohio Department of Public Safety regulations. Contact the EMS Program Director or Workforce for further information and/or the development of specialized EMS training needs.